Wednesday, July 22, 2009

That vicious professor from Harvard? Oh, right. He's black. He probably is vicious.

You've probably seen something about this already, but I am rather stunned by the story of Professor Gates, of all people, suffering this indignity.

A police officer was standing on his porch and asking him to come out of the house. "Instinctively, I knew I was not to step outside," Gates said, describing the officer's tone as threatening. Gates said the policeman, who was in his 30s and several inches taller than him, followed him into his kitchen where Gates retrieved his identification. "I was thinking, this is ridiculous, but I'm going to show him my ID, and this guy is going to get out of my house," Gates said. "This guy had this whole narrative in his head. Black guy breaking and entering." More...

No comments:

Post a Comment